Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Here for Three Weeks Now

1/10/13

We are now into our second week of classes, and I'm sorry that you're getting two blog posts at once, but I'm on the internet today, which I am very thankful for, so I'm posting both of them. I have so much to tell you all, that I'm not sure where to start, so I'll begin by thanking you all for your prayers, especially for my good health to continue. I have not gotten malaria yet, I've only had a bit of stomach trouble a few days, and I'm feeling really great today.
Today is the first day of October, and it also marks the third full week I've spent in Karamoja! It's also the first day of our language classes with a native Karamojong speaker, one of the teachers from the school. Erika and I will be meeting with her for an hour on Mon., Wed. and Fri., and practicing with each other on Tues. and Thurs. Pray for blessing from our work, and growth in our language abilities.
Here's some little stories of adventures in food! I made ricotta cheese, for the lasagna we made. We regularly bake our own bread, from rolls, to pitas, tortillas and banana bread. Tonight I had chocolate chip cookie bars for dessert! Jim Knox says I can quote him as saying that there's no point in making one batch of dessert, if you're going to make dessert, always double the recipe. The best dessert we've made yet was red velvet cookies, covered in powdered sugar!

Being here for three weeks has made me evaluate how things are going. 

The more real and present I feel in this African life I'm living, the less likely it seems that I've been away from America for as long as I have. I'm in the double position of feeling like I've always been here, and feeling like I've only just left America!

I suppose an update on our classes would fit best here. 

I'm really enjoying teaching at the preschool. Things are continuing to improve, as we figure out more of what we are working with, and how to work things out in the best way. At the moment, I am leading the letters corner, while Erika leads the numbers corner. We've got the schedule worked out so that we each see every student each day, so we prepare one lesson for a 25 minute period, and teach it four times, to the four different color groups. Our next step, other than continuing with the content lessons, is to spend two weeks in these corners, and then switch with each other, so I can have some time in the numbers corner, and Erika can work with the students with their letters. We also need to consider reorganizing the groups based on ability, so that we can guide our lessons towards making the best use of time for each group's level.

One of the greatest blessings of being here on the compound is the fellowship that everyone on the compound shares. Forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but it really is one of my favorite things. The lunch of rice and beans is more than just lunch; it's a time to gather and talk things over, from how your morning went, to what movie you watched last night. Then there are Bible studies, where we keep each other accountable for important things, and support each other in prayer. On Wednesday night we sing hymns, and are working our way through the book of Hebrews. Finally, there is worship on the Lord's day, both morning and evening are different and important. In the morning, we sing in Ngakaramojong, and the service is translated; while in the evening, we gather with guitars for praise songs and the service is in English.

Another amazing blessing is the nature I am exposed to on a daily basis. I love listening to the birds in the morning, or the rain on the thatched roof of my banda in the afternoon. I love that the sun rises over the mountains as I wake up in the morning, and that when the sky is clear, there are enough stars to see my way. I love that we are waiting for the birth of a litter of kittens, even when the cats are loudly asking to be fed, even though I know they already were. I love learning to work with new fruits and vegetables, and trying new foods, like Tilapia fish soup.

I know that the same God who is writing your stories has started this new chapter in mine, and he will be faithful to finish it in whatever way he pleases, for my ultimate good, and his ultimate glory. I am eagerly anticipating whatever he chooses to send, seeming good or ill.
It is time to go to bed now, so I guess I will post this tomorrow, if I can get on the internet.
Hope to talk to you all soon!
Love in Christ,

Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love knowing what the people reading my blog think! Please comment below, thanks!