Friday, January 17, 2014

New Year, New Stories!

So, I can't believe I haven't written a post since Christmas; I could blame lots of things, but I won't.

Let me start by saying that I am so incredibly blessed! I know that my God has promised to provide everything that I need, but it's an added blessing when I actually, from my heart, feel content in what he has provided for me! I have had a wonderful holiday season, filled with laughter and joy, both here and in the states!

I was, and continue to be, so thankful for the many cards, letters, and e-mails that I have received. I am making no promises, but I'm going to try and respond to them all. It is such a good reminder to me that so many people are praying for me, and thinking about me, even those who didn't send letters, no worries, I know you love me and that I'm in your hearts!

My family went totally overboard in the amount of things they sent me, but each one is cherished because it represents their love for me. I got DVD's, music, and audio books; special candles, soaps, tic-tacs, and notebooks; and even some of my favorite tea! I was able to talk, and Skype with them at several key moments, like the opening of presents, and I was able to send them gifts as well.

We are now back to school for two weeks after our Christmas and New Year's break, but I was only here for the first two days of the first week, because I went down to Kampala for my first trip to the capital since I arrived. Pastor Al, Maryann and I went down to drop off Maryann and pick up Erika, Jesse, and a new visitor, Hannah. Kampala is incredibly busy and fun, but somehow I miss America more when I'm in the city, probably because my own place feels so comfortable, and Kampala seems so strange and new.

There was a huge bookstore in the mall! It was so much fun to just browse and read, and of course buy some books, how could I refuse? I bought a map of Uganda, so I could trace my travels. I also bought a new stitch guide for crochet, so I can learn the UK method of naming stitches (pictures of projects soon), and I bought a new book called The Light Between Oceans, which I only know is set on a lighthouse island off the coast of Australia, sometime after one of the World Wars; it came highly recommended by a friend. I'll let you know what I think when I know more, but for now listen to this, "It seemed his lungs could never be large enough to breathe in this much air, his eyes could never see this much space..."

I've been able to enjoy some of the new DVDs my sister sent me, including Much Ado About Nothing, and Now You See Me, both excellent! And I'm listening to some of the great music my brother sent me, even as I'm writing this post, specifically "What Is This Feeling" and "For Good" in honor of my sisters' viewing of Wicked on Broadway.

The school is going well, and even though I've got miles to go, I feel like I'm making progress with the little pieces of ngaKarimojong I'm trying to learn. I can almost teach some of the simpler lessons in the Numbers Corner, so thank you all who are praying for my lessons to continue going well! I'm also grateful for my continued good health, and my adjustment to the high temperatures of the dry season, which are here to stay for a while. My blood has definitely thinned while I've been here, because I now start shivering and looking for my sweater when the thermometer hits 60F and my family is dealing with single digit temperatures.

Well, that's all for now, I'm so thankful for your patience with me if you've read this far, let me know what you think by commenting below!
Love to you all,
Kimala Daadang (Greet those who are there!)
Alakara dang (Thanks for everything!)
Taryn

1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog, keeping you in my prayers, be safe have fun. Tina

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing what the people reading my blog think! Please comment below, thanks!